St John's is located at the corner of Cape and Yarra Streets, Heidelberg, and was erected between 1859 and 1861. Built of blue stone, the church is in the style of Gothic Revival, in the English decorated manner. The architects were George and Schneider.
In 1851, Bishop Gould formally established the Heidelberg Parish – then designated the Heidelberg Mission. Today, the beautiful bluestone church, designed by William Wardell, with its magnificent stained glass window, continues to service the thriving parish of over 1000 families.
In the early days, the parish boundaries extended as far as Lilydale, Healesville, Warburton and many nearby places, including Eltham, Hurstbridge, Bulleen, Yan Yean, Templestowe and Epping. Today’s parish includes the suburbs of Heidelberg, Eaglemont, Rosanna and parts of Heidelberg Heights.
The foundation stone for the present church was laid by the Rev. Dr. Fitzpatrick, Vicar General, on 6 March 1859. It was blessed by Bishop O’Quinn of Brisbane on 14 April 1861 and dedicated to St John the Evangelist. In 2001, the church celebrated the 150th year of the parish (affectionately known as St John’s on the Hill).
St John’s Primary School today stands on the site of the original weatherboard chapel, St Monica’s, built in 1851. Over the years, it has evolved into one of the region’s most sought-after primary schools, delivering our parish children an outstanding education.
This post is part of the inSPIREd Sunday meme.