Monday 17 March 2014

FAIRFIELD GRAFFITI

We were walking around our neighbourhood in inner suburban Melbourne a few days ago and this wall caught our eye. A huge expanse of graffiti on the side wall of a bottle-shop. I suspect this is a sponsored work, the owners wishing to cover the vulnerable wall with more or less acceptable graffiti that they had some control over, rather than leave a huge expanse of blank wall that invited all sorts of disasters.

The graffiti is well executed, although a bit samey and similar to other of its ilk. I am not sure whether it agrees with me or not. I would have preferred something more representational rather than this which is glorified tagging. You can read more about graffiti and vandalism vs art in my other blog.

This post is part of the Monday Murals meme.









6 comments:

  1. #5 the lettering is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If nothing else, it's colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the bright pinks, blues and oranges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what it all means, but they colors are eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I'm ambivalent about "piecing." Much of the work is ingenious in design but less visually interesting to me than something more representational. It would help if I could read the font. But sadly, that is not in my skills set. Thanks for contributing to this week's Monday Mural.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I'd really like to hear from you!
Please do not use this comment box to advertise your goods and services!