Thursday 26 April 2012

NORTH MELBOURNE TERRACE HOUSES

North Melbourne is a large inner city suburb of Melbourne, 2 km north-west from Melbourne's central business district. It is bounded by the CityLink freeway to the west, Victoria Street to the south, O'Connell and Peel Streets to the east and Flemington Road to the north. At the 2006 Census, North Melbourne had a population of 9,962.

Formerly known as Hotham, it was a working class area and was one of the first towns in Victoria to be granted municipal status. Today it continues to undergo gentrification, noted for its Victorian architecture, cosmopolitan demographic, commercial and older industrial areas. The rows of late 19th century terrace houses shown here were photographed around Dryburgh, Canning and Abbotsford Sts. The ornate iron lacework is a prominent feature of most Victorian terrace houses.

This post is part of Pat's Things in a Row meme.












13 comments:

  1. Wow!! That architecture is quite spectacular! And the ironworks- fences, gates, decorative railings are so beautiful. Reminds me of New Orleans....although I've never been there myself, I have seen pictures of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking New Orleans, too!! What a beautiful area! I love the all of the wrought iron! Elegant! Terrific captures as always, Nick! Hope you're getting ready for a wonderful weekend! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful buildings! Just gorgeous! I so appreciate all the work that has gone into those to make them so pretty. It is such a stark contrast to the "modern" straight lines with no personality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, they are so close to each other... very easy to pass on things from one to another, just like how neighbors in some Asian countries do, they send foods or anything they want to share.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoah- absolutely stunning - so rich in their design and grandeur- A week's worth of posts in one day!

    Chrissy from Manchester: a photo a day at Mancunian Wave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful row houses. Lots of detail!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the ornate iron work on these railings! I could probably use up all my photo allowance on these alone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the iron work -- you live in the neatest place-- so much variety and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The details are amazing ! Must be nice to live in such an environment. Please have a good Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so totally love these! I would love to see this area one day - maybe I will win a lottery. Fabulous post, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those houses look like what we have here in India in some Upper class areas. Did I see"Bangalore" there:-)

    Lovely houses and areas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What elaborate designs! I love those houses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! The iron lacework is truly beautiful and the architecture is magnificent! I would be proud to live in ANY of those! Thanks for sharing those! What workmanship...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I'd really like to hear from you!
Please do not use this comment box to advertise your goods and services!