Newman College was designed by Walter Burley Griffin and was opened in 1918. Building on the Chapel began in 1938 and it was consecrated in 1942. The principal architect of the Chapel was Thomas Payne. The building of the Chapel was made possible by the generosity of Mr Patrick Brennan of Yarram, Victoria, although substantial donations had already been made by Victorian Catholics to the Archbishop Carr Memorial Chapel Fund.
It is a collegiate chapel, designed in the mediaeval style. Its architecture is 'Decorated Gothic', which flourished in fourteenth century Europe. English, French and Spanish influences are evident, and two of the carved gargoyles are of Australian fauna. The stone is from the Barrabool hills and the Hawkesbury district, and the doors are of American oak. Other special features are the high timbered roof and the six wrought iron Gothic lanterns. It has a central aisle, and capacity for 240 people. The Chapel of the Holy Spirit is a Catholic chapel. Only Catholic services may be conducted within it, and only sacred music, whether vocal and instrumental, is permitted...
81:1 Sing aloud unto God our strength: make a joyful noise unto the God of Jacob.
2 Take a psalm, and bring hither the timbrel, the pleasant harp with the psaltery.
3 Blow up the trumpet in the new moon, in the time appointed, on our solemn feast day.
4 For this was a statute for Israel, and a law of the God of Jacob.
This post is part of the Psalm Sunday meme,
and also part of the Spiritual Sundays meme.