Built in 1889, the Grand Hotel began life as the “Grand Coffee Palace”, one of the many such establishments encouraged by the Temperance Movement. The architect was William Pitt, who had designed the Windsor Hotel in Melbourne.
The original building had three bays beneath a central tower and steeple, with an arched carriageway to Swift’s Stables behind. Cornelius Crowley was the first owner, and he also owned the Cricketer’s Arms Hotel next door. This was built in 1868 with a decorative parapet of finials and urns.
The liquor licence was transferred in the early 1890s from the Arms to the Coffee Palace, which was renamed the Granf Hotel. The Cricketer’s Arms building then became a car hire and coach depot, before being replaced by a furniture store in the late 1940s and then various other businesses over the years.
The Grand Hotel was expanded to its current size in 1919. The tower has always been a landmark feature in the town. The current design, constructed in 1987 is the third. The building retains its original distinctive French Renaissance revival roof and some internal features.
This post is part of the Weekend Reflections meme,
and also part of the Weekly TopShot meme,
and also part of the Scenic Weekends meme.