Friday 11 November 2022

LUNAR ECLIPSE

Thousands turned to the sky to witness a lunar eclipse as a blood moon rose over Victoria last Tuesday night. Lunar eclipses occur when the sun, Earth and moon all line up, with Earth casting a shadow across the moon. A blood moon is so called from the red hue of the moon at totality, but the hue the moon appears would depend on local atmospheric conditions: If there’s enough pollution, volcanic dust or cloud cover, the moon can appear quite red. We were lucky enough not to have cloud cover and the moon appeared quite red! Australians will not get to see another lunar eclipse until 2025.

This post is part of the Skywatch Friday meme




7 comments:

  1. Great shot. We saw it here but at dawn. I didn't see it but I heard from friends. I'm glad you experienced it right there, so close.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got some great photos there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully captured. Cloudy and rainy here so I wasn't able to observe it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful image of the Red Blood Moon Eclipse. Good Job! Ours was visible at 4:00 A.M. I thought it was the next day. WRONG! It was the night I was sleeping right through it. Duh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots, great explanation about why it happens. It was too early for me and I think we had overcast skies anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I'd really like to hear from you!
Please do not use this comment box to advertise your goods and services!