Saturday, 29 August 2026

MASKED LAPWING

The masked lapwing (Vanellus miles) is a large, common and conspicuous bird native to Australia (particularly the northern and eastern parts of the continent), New Zealand and New Guinea. It spends most of its time on the ground searching for food such as insects and worms and has several distinctive calls. It is common in Australian fields, open land and where there is lots of water, and is known for its defensive swooping behaviour during the nesting season.

This post is part of the Saturday Critters meme


3 comments:

  1. It's quite a regal and distinctive bird! I would love to see one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a pretty bird, I would love to see it myself in the wild.
    Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend! PS, thank you for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our kids saw them when they visited!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I'd really like to hear from you!
Please do not use this comment box to advertise your goods and services!