Saturday 14 January 2012

MELBOURNE BIKE SHARE

We are experiencing another relatively cool and wet Melbourne summer, the effect of La Niña weather system. This is pleasing many people who would rather this than the extreme temperatures and humidity of our very hot summers. We still have many tourists, from both interstate and overseas.

These photos were taken on a rainy lunchtime outside the GPO in the City. Shown is "Melbourne Bike Share" a new form of public transport, designed for short trips across the city. Users simply purchase a subscription that suits them, for minutes, hours, days or weeks and then take a bike when they need it and return it to one of the 50 bike stations throughout the city. It's a great idea and encourages people to utilise pedal power in order to move around the city or sightsee, as these tourists are about to do.

This post is part of the Weekend Reflections meme.



17 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I would definitely rake advantage of the bikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific idea, Nick! I love it! Wonderful captures for the day as always and love the rainy reflections! Hope you have a great weekend! Enjoy!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are certainly having your share of wet days over there Nick - hope this "Bike Share" venture is successful as it would be a great for for tourist to see your city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of the bike share, it's probably a great way to get around the city. Very nice, subtle reflections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice reflections on the sidewalk! and great idea for getting around town!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat idea! Very cool shots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So we not only share the weather, we have the same bike renting system,

    ReplyDelete
  8. bike shares are wonderful - I love the idea. you captured some nice rain reflections here. I think the entire planet is experiencing odd weather this year! thanks for stopping by my blog and saying hello, I truly appreciate it. happy weekend to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the bike share concept. I have noticed several new bike stations have opened in and around the Melbourne CBD.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, very nice pictures, in my city that also have transport for only 3 euros a year. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds great - but I've often wondered what happens if everyone's going in roughly the same direction? Do they have bike 'runners' to return them to where there's a dearth?? Just askin' ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog Nix. Glad I found you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe that there are several cities in the states that do this. As for me, I like the familiarity of my own bike.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We have the same type of system here and it seems to be quite popular. Hope you get some sunny days!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sydney has the bike lanes but without the bikes. Wonder how long before we get the renter bike, such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool! I've seen bike stands like these in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent street shots.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I'd really like to hear from you!
Please do not use this comment box to advertise your goods and services!