The Old Treasury Building on Spring Street in Melbourne, was once home to the Treasury Department of the Government of Victoria, but is now a museum of Melbourne history, known as the Old Treasury Building. The Old Treasury Building was constructed between 1858–62 , and is considered one of Australia's finest Renaissance Revival buildings, constructed in palazzo form and built from wealth accumulated during the Victorian Gold Rush to house the state gold vaults.
The building was designed by young architect J. J. Clark at just 19 years of age. The oldest surviving designs for the building date back to 1857, and many of JJ Clark's drafts are on display throughout the building. Clark later went on to design the Brisbane Treasury in Queensland, considered to be another fine example in a classical style. Miles Lewis once described it as the "finest public building exterior in Australia".
It is the cornerstone of the Treasury Reserve government precinct adjacent to the Treasury Gardens and creates an important vista terminating Collins Street, the financial spine of the city. When the official treasury offices were moved in 1877-78, the building was nicknamed the 'Old Treasury'. The building is also notable as it was the unofficial first capital building of Australia. In February 1899, a "secret" Premiers' conference was convened, after which it was decided Melbourne's Parliament House would be the temporary capital until the location of the Australian National Capital was officially announced.
in 2012The Old Treasury Building, previously housed City Museum and reopened in 2009 as a not-for-profit organisation with the permanent exhibition 'Victorian Archival Treasures' and 'Built on Gold'. The museum's permanent exhibition, Victorian Archival Treasures, presents a rich narrative of Victoria's history from the 1830s, highlighted by key documents and artifacts from Public Record Office Victoria (PROV).
This post is part of the Scenic Sunday meme.