In 1933 the owner of the cottage decided to sell it with a condition of sale that the building remain in England. She was persuaded to change "England" to "the Empire", and accepted an Australian bid of £800, by Russell Grimwade as opposed to the highest local offer of £300. The cottage was deconstructed brick by brick and packed into 253 cases and 40 barrels, for shipping on board the Port Dunedin from Hull.
Cuttings from ivy that adorned the house were also taken and planted when the house was re-erected in Melbourne. Grimwade, a notable businessman and philanthropist, donated the house to the people of Victoria for the centenary anniversary of the settlement of Melbourne in October 1934. The cottage immediately became a popular tourist attraction. In 1978 further restoration work was carried out on the cottage. An English cottage garden has been established around the house, further adding to its period reconstruction. Very few of the items in the house are from the Cook family, but all are representative furnishings of the period.
This post is part of the Our World Tuesday meme.
|Front view of the Cottage. A souvenir shop is located in the front single storey part of the house
|Back view of the Cottage with its delightful cottage garden
|The kitchen/living room with its period furniture and implements
|The main bedroom upstairs. One cannot be but impressed with how compact and small everything seems
|Portrait of Captain Cook and a model of the "Endeavour", his most famous ship used in his exploration journeys
|Back garden and a statue of Cook
|Traditional plants popular in 18th century English gardens have been planted in the back yard. Here is a delightful hollyhock
|The Fitzroy Gardens is a delightful setting for the cottage