Wednesday 21 December 2011

CAPTAIN COOK'S STATUE - ST KILDA FORESHORE

This sculpture of Captain James Cook is a replica of the sculpture on the cliffs of West Whitby, Yorkshire, near Cook's birthplace. The work was installed in 1914 at St. Kilda Beach as one of the items in honour of the "discoverer" of the East Coast of Australia. It is a good example of early twentieth century British Edwardian academic memorial sculpture, another and more important example being Sir Edgar Bertram Mackennal's equestrian statue of Edward VI. The statue is part of the foreshore group of memorials set up by the St. Kilda Council. John Tweed was a well known British sculptor of the period, and the piece is deemed to be of State Significance.


One can also see the St Kilda Marina in the distance, in this most well-known and popular Melbourne bayside suburbs, only 6 km South of the City centre. You can view a larger selection of my photos of St Kilda on my other photoblog.


This post is part of the Watery Wednesday meme blog.



16 comments:

  1. Terrific capture and what a marvelous view! And it looks WARM! I really like that! Hope your week is going well!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice view looking across the bay with the marina in the background - definitely watery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feels as if time passes on a different pace there.

    Please have a good Wednesday.

    daily athens photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks just like Auckland, But I guess you didn't get all the rain we had the last 10 days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting, with Cook looking out over the ocean! I like the differing heights of the palm trees, too. And the green!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much closer to the water than Sydney's Cook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the best season in Christmas time. Love to be there ^_^

    The Flood Water

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just lovely with that blue sky!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful day!

    My Watery. May you have a joyful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fine outlook Captain Cook has to survey there Nick, very striking sculpture!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Captain Cook looks quite impressive looking out onto the bay and marina!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that it is a summer shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quite a good spot for it looking out towards the water.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous spot for the statue. I like the way he is gazing out upon the waters. genie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I beg your forgiveness for my cutting and pasting my comment, but there was no way on Earth I would be able to make it around the whole globe to wish everybody a Merry Christmas otherwise.

    The magical elves that constitute my staff have demonstrated their lack of respect in either not showing up for work at all, or those that have all seem a little worse for wear (if you catch my drift). All they seem to do is sit around smoking cigarettes that, frankly, smell funny. In addition, they play cards and tell dirty jokes rather than do their jobs! Consequently, the reindeer are all filthy and out of shape.

    I now have my two sons pulling the sleigh, but they are struggling. I’ve been told that it’s a big ask for a three and five year old, but I made it this far with a couple of mangy chooks, an arthritic wallaby and three peculiar wombats! Unfortunately, we lost all bar one wombat over Mumbai (and the sole survivor is exhibiting clear signs of PTSD).

    Anyway, all the way down here at the bottom of the world (A.K.A. Tasmania), and from myself, Jen, Henry and Ezra, please have a Merry Christmas/Winter Solstice/Hanukkah/Festivus/Ashura and a happy New Year!

    I hope that all of your holiday photos turn out to be triumphs, your stocking is stuffed full of lots of tasty treats and not coal and that all your naan/ prawn cocktails/ currywurst are all as tasty as can be!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I'd really like to hear from you!
Please do not use this comment box to advertise your goods and services!