Thursday 8 December 2011

THE CAUSEWAY - MELBOURNE CITY

Causeway Lane (also known as The Causeway) is a street in Melbourne's CBD. It is a short, quiet and narrow open laneway, running between Bourke Street Mall and Little Collins Street between Elizabeth Street and Swanston Street. Located in the heart of the shopping precinct, the Causeway is currently flanked by some small boutique shops, indoor and outdoor cafes and sushi bars. The "Sushi Monger" sign always makes me smile.

The lane is notable for the heritage listed former Union Bank a tall curved palazzo styled building constructed in the 1920s which has a mezzanine entrance at the corner of the lane. The building is now occupied by Laurent, an upmarket French patisserie serving delicious sweets, pastries, good coffee and hot chocolate. The lane is bitumen and lined by the plain sides of some heritage buildings. It is closed to all vehicular traffic.A vista is created at either end by the Myer Emporium on Bourke Street Mall and at the other by the postmodern facade of the Novotel on Collins.

Early morning is a wonderful time to walk along these lanes as they are deserted but the smells of coffee, cooking and baking provide a great start to the day.

This post is part of the Signs, Signs meme.

22 comments:

  1. Golly you are the third blogger (Aussie) that I have read this morniong who is contributing to this Signs meme. I will have to check it out.

    I like the twist to 'monger' too. I wonder where the word originally came from. Very close to the French word 'to eat'.

    I agree that the early morning smells in places like this are entrancing. Tis very wet up here this morning and I am on my way to see Picasso. Hope to capture a few wet streets as well.

    Have a good one ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks a Japanese restaurant, but still looks exotic for me. Beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the outdoor seating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sushi monger is a good one!
    I like the narrow patio along the edge of the causeway.

    ..and Julie, join us - every week at this time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, I can almost smell the coffee! But we have snow now, and the thought of having my coffee outside makes my teeth clatter :-) Nice shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of a French patisserie. And I love having coffee outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feels like a universe on its own. Great picture. Please have a good Thursday ahead.


    daily athens photo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it that there are no vehicles allowed - makes that outside dining area look safe and fun! I like the "sushi monger" sign too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really have those laneways in order down there, interesting story too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful laneway! Would love to settle at one of those tables for a drink. I always think of fish monger so I guess it is only a bit of a stretch to Sushi Monger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Laurent. I discovered it a few years back and now a visit to Melbourne is not complete without returning for a cake and cappuccino here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can just imagine walking down this little walkway and smelling all of those wonderful aromas. Love the shot. genie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent shot! I love the yellow reflection on the street!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow!

    I don't think I've ever seen that lane with nobody sitting at the tables

    you must be an early bird!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Melbourne's lane ways are one of its greatest assets.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent photo. I also like photographing in the early morning. You can some interesting light effects.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It makes me want a flat white right now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hmmm...
    Francophile «Louis» would like to visit Laurent - and he offers this as evidence...

    «Louis» is adding your blog to the blogroll in the left sidebar of San Francisco Bay Daily Photo.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous image. Can smell that coffee and taste the freshly baked delights!

    ReplyDelete
  20. With your evocative description, I can almost smell the goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sushi Monger is a cute name. i can smell coffee and cookies while looking at the photo.:p

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your early morning walk sounds (and smells) wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, I'd really like to hear from you!
Please do not use this comment box to advertise your goods and services!