The Melbourne General Post Office ("GPO"), is a former post office in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Located on the corner of Elizabeth Street and Bourke Street in the heart of the Melbourne CBD it is a landmark of the city and is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. The former purpose-built post office building currently functions as a shopping mall, having been redeveloped for adaptive reuse in 2004. The location of it remains important as it is still officially used as a measure of distances from the centre of Melbourne.
The foundation stone was laid on its present site in 1859 and built to the design of A.E.Johnson in the Renaissance Revival style. The building was later extended in 1887 with a larger clock tower, extra storeys and applied with a Second Empire styled mansard roofline. Plans for the building were never completed.